GATE 2018: Application Form, Eligibility Criteria, Syllabus, Exam Pattern & Date | gate.iit.ac.in
The following article has been updated with latest and valid information. Please read the whole article below.
GATE 2018: GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is an All-India level entrance exam administered and conducted in eight zones nationwide by the GATE coterie that comprises of faculty members from IISc, Bangalore and other seven IIT’s on behalf of the National Coordinating Board, Department Of Education, Ministry OF Human Resources Development. The GATE Rank is used for admission to postgraduate programmes like M.E, M.Tech, M.S, Direct Ph.D. in the top institutions like IITs, IISc etc. PSUs also use GATE Scores for recruiting candidates for various prestigious jobs with attractive salary. This year GATE exam is conducted by IIT, Guwahati.
NOTE: GATE 2018 Registration has been extended till 9th October 2017 at gate.iitg.ac.in.
GATE 2018 Important Dates
GATE 2018 dates have been declared. Candidates may check and note official dates mentioned below:
|GATE 2018 Commencement of Online Application Form||1st September 2017|
|Last date of submitting an application form||9th October 2017(extended)|
|Last Date to request for change in examination city||17th November 2017|
|GATE Admit Card Availability||5th January 2018|
|GATE 2018 Exam Date||3rd, 4th February & 10th, 11th February 2018 (forenoon: 9 Am to12 noon.) (afternoon:2.00 pm- 5pm)
|Answer Keys||few days after an examination|
|Result Declaration||17th March 2018|
|Download of Score Card||Last week of March 2018 to last week of May 2018|
|Counselling||Second week of April 2018|
GATE 2018 Application Form (AVAILABLE Till October 9)
- Interested candidates can go online to fill their form.
- A candidate has to upload his/her scanned copy of photograph and signature.
- Application fees can be paid online or by challan (if applicable ).
- A period of around one month is given to complete the process.
- Application fee has to pay online. The details are given below:
Female candidates- Rs 750/-
SC/ST /PWD category candidates- Rs 750/-
All other candidates – Rs 1500/
Gate 2018 Application Form Modification /Correction
The modification is permitted in GATE 2018 application only in limited entries. Application form correction has been started now. It will be allowed only after submitting a form. If a candidate has made a mistake in his/her then, he/she has to send an email with a subject “correction in data( enrollment no.)” along with document as a proof.
The modification will be granted in the following mentioned fields:
- Name of candidate
- Name of Parent/Guardian
- Status from OBC to Gen and Gen to OBC
- Have you graduated with the above degree?
- Year of qualifying degree
GATE Exam Pattern 2018
GATE 2018 is held for total 23 papers. Applicants are allowed to appear only one of the 23 papers. The mode of the examination will be online and duration will be 3 hrs. 65 questions of maximum 100 marks will be asked in GATE 2018.
Multiple choice questions and numerical answer type question will be displayed in the GATE 2018 examination. Four choices will be provided in the MCQ while there will be no option for NAT. The candidates are required to enter the real no. in numerical answer type question with the help of virtual keypad.
The General Aptitude section is very common in all papers. It will contain 150 question of maximum 15 marks (5 questions of 1 mark each and 5 of 2 marks each). A new section has been introducing by the board. In the paper of XE, new section H by the name of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences has been introduced from the last year 2017.
There will be negative marking of 1/3rd marks for the question carrying 1 mark. 2/3rd will be deducted for the question carrying 2 marks con every wrong attempt. No negative marking will be done for Numerical answer type section.
GATE 2018 Examination Pattern
- Part A- 25 questions of 1 mark each. This part is common for all candidates.
- Part B- 30 questions of 2 marks each. This part has two sections, section one is of geology and second section is of geophysics.
- 10 questions from GA.
Note: It does not include XE, XL, GG
Exam pattern for XE:
- Section A is of Engineering Mathematics which is a compulsory section. Total 11 questions will be asked out of which 7 question is of 1 mark each and 4 question of 2 marks each.
- Any two from XE section B to H carrying 22 questions. 9 questions carrying 1 marks and 13 questions carrying 2 marks.
- 10 questions from GA.
Exam pattern for XL:
- Section P (chemistry )is a compulsory section with 15 questions in total. 5 question is of 1 marks and 10 questions of 2 marks.
- Any two from XL section Q to U carrying 20 questions. 10 questions of 2 marks and 10 question of 1 marks each.
- 10 questions from GA.
Exam pattern for GG:
- Part A has 25 questions of 1 mark. This part is common for all the candidates.
- Part B has 30 questions of 2 marks each. This section is divided into two sections geology-section 1 and geophysics-section2.
For details of GATE 2018 Exam Pattern => Click Here
GATE 2018 Eligibility Criteria
The following candidates are eligible to write in GATE 2018:
- Bachelors degree holders in Engineering /Technology(4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after Bsc diploma in Engineering /technology) and those students who are in final year of such courses.
- Bachelors holders in architecture and those who in the final year.
- Bachelors degree in science (BS) and those who are in the final year.
- Masters degree holders in any branch of science/mathematics/statistics/computer application or equivalent and those who are in the final year.
- Holders of Four years integrated Masters degree (Bsc.)in engineering and technology and those who are in second or higher year of such programs.
- Holder of five years integrated Masters degree or dual degree in engineering/technology and those who are in fourth or higher year of such programs
- Holders of fiver year M.Sc.or five-year B.Sc/M.Sc degree and those who are in final year of such programs.
- Candidates who got qualification through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE/MHRD as equivalent to B.Tech. Those who have completed section A or AMIE or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
GATE 2018 Syllabus
GATE is held for 23 papers. Syllabus for each paper is different. It is hard to describe a complete syllabus in a line or two, but students can download pdf of GATE 2018 syllabus of their respective subjects.
GATE Admit Card 2018
Gate admit card shall be issued through GOAPS(GATE online application processing system) in first week of January 2018.It is mandatory for every candidate to bring a printed copy of GATE admit card along with an original id card. You may bring anyone of the following :
- Voter’s ID
- Pan Card
- Aadhaar Card
- Employee Identity Card
- Valid college ID
- Driving license
For international candidates only valid passport/ govt issued / college ID / employee ID .
To download the GATE 2018 Admit Card => Click Here
GATE Answer Key
ITIG will release GATE 2018 answer key on the official website . There will be individual question paper and answer keys for every section. The format of official answer key is PDF file consisting of question and answer.
GATE Result 2108
Declaration if GATE result 2018 be online through GOAPS. The GATE 2018 result date of declaration is March 2018. However, it has been observed that result comes one day prior to assign date. Qualifying cut off score is fixed by IITs on basis of exam difficulty level, average candidate performance and minimum expectations of course. GATE 2018 score board is valid for 3 years.
For any other queries please leave a message below in a comment.